This vegetable stir fry with a tomato gravy is a simple, pleasurable and back to basics home cooking enjoyed in Pakistan in short chilly winter days with sunny afternoons. Hope it cheers up your dinner table where ever you cook it.
- Heat oil in the pan and add ginger/garlic paste,whole cumin, mustard seeds and Fenugreek Seeds.
- Once the ginger/Garlic changes color slightly add tomato puree.
- Cook till oil separates. Now add chili powder, salt, turmeric and cumin powder. Cook for 30 secs.
- Add diced potatoes and carrots. Cook for 2 mins on high heat. Add about a cup of water and curry leaves.
- Let it boil on high heat and then immediately lower the heat to a medium simmer. Cover the pan and cook till potatoes and carrots are almost done. Add peas (The peas I use are cooked in 5 mins hence I add them in the last).
- Add around ½ cup of more water. Let it gently simmer till everything is cooked through and there is a bit of liquid and oil at the base of the pan.
- Add kasuri Methi and cook on slowest heat for 3-4 minutes with lid on the pan. Mix it and switch off the stove. Add fresh coriander, chopped green chili and knobs of butter and serve hot with a chappati and mint chutney.