Whole peppercorns - 8-10
- Wash the rice 3 times with cold water and soak it for 30 mins before cooking.
- Heat the oil in a pan (it should have a lid) and add onions to it. Let it color.
- Add all dry spices to it and fry till onions are dark brown.
- Add the green chili as well.
- Now add stock and bring it to boil on medium heat.
- Add peas; boil for only a minute more.
- Now drain water from the rice and add them to the boiling stock. Wait for it to boil again on medium heat.
- In the mean while put on a tava/ griddle or a heat diffuser on medium flame on another stove. This will be used to steam cook the rice.
- Once the liquid with rice in it starts boiling, wait for 3/4 of the stock to be evaporated.
- Now place a piece of aluminum foil on top of the cooking pot and seal the pan with the lid ensuring the steam does not escape. Put it over the hot tava/heat diffuser and reduce the heat to low.
- Let the rice cook for 12-15 mins on lowest heat on the stove over the griddle. Open the pan after 15 mins. The water should be dried up and the rice should be cooked completely.
- Mix the rice with the wooden spoon. Let it sit for 5 mins before serving hot.