Maryam this is for you. Thank you for sending me down the memory lane.
Potato and meat curry can be served with pea pulao, home made chappati - flat bread or buttered paratha.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add onions and let them become translucent.
- Add ginger/garlic paste, cumin seeds, cinnamon, black cardamom and fry for a minute.
- Now add meat and fry till it changes color to brown.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 350 ml ( 1 ½ cups) of water and put the cover on to pressure cook.
- The pressure cooking time for the meat depends on the meat itself. I needed about 15 minutes of pressure cooking to cook the mutton I had. (You might need more or less).
- After 15 mins depressurize the cooker under cold water and open it. Check if the meat is tender or not. (If it is not done yet then pressure cook it further for 5-10 mins. Replenish with a little bit of more water.)
- Once the meat is tender then remove the meat from the cooker and let it rest in a plate while you work on the gravy. This ensures that the meat does not break down in further cooking.
- Now increase the heat and dry up the water in the mixture. It should become thick and the oil should come out on the sides (see the photo).
- Now add potatoes and the already cooked meat. Add 450ml (2 cups) of water and let it boil on high heat.
- Once it starts boiling reduce the heat and let it simmer. The aim is to cook the potatoes and the oil comes up on the surface. It can take between 15-25 mins(see the photo).
- Once done garnish with dried methi, 2 pinches of garam masala and fresh coriander leaves.