- Boil a large pot of water. As soon as the water boils add washed plums to it. Time for 3 minutes and drain plums in a colander.
- Once the water drains, put a pan under the colander as the plums will start releasing its juices. Ensure that you save all of it.
- Peel the plums and put them in a cooking pan with all the juices.
- Add all ingredients to the plums except roasted Char e Maghaz/Melon seeds.
- Cook till plums break down completely (About 25-35 mins on medium heat) and the mixture becomes a thick syrup that covers the back of your cooking spoon.
- Let it cool for 15 mins and add the Char e Maghaz and mix.
- Once cooled completely, the chutney can be saved in sealed jars or sealed plastic containers and put in fridge for extending its life.
Wednesday, 5 August 2015
Allo Bukharay ki Chutney - Pakistani Style Plum Sauce
Reading allo bukhara chutney post by a fellow blogger come - con - ella made me look for my mother-in-laws recipe of making this particular chutney and allo bokharay aur imli ka sherbat (Plum & Tamarind Drink) at home. I will share the drink's recipe at some other point in time. I was able to try MIL's version of plum chutney which turned out to be worth making again in large quantity to consume and distribute as a culinary gift.
Allo Bukhara Chutney is a perfect condiment that can be served with a meal or with your afternoon tea time pakoray and samosay. Once you have made this at home, you will never buy that bottle of ready made chutney. This can be made in large quantities and stored in sealed bottles in fridge for atleast 2 months.
Fresh Plums - 1 kilo
Brown Sugar - 1/3 cup
White Sugar - 1/3 cup
Crushed Red Chilies- 1 tsp
Roasted Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Roasted Char -e -Maghaz( Dried Melon seeds) - 1/4 cup
Salt - 1 tsp (adjust to taste)
Water - 1 cup